Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Tiny Adventure, or Keys! Keys! Keys!

I've been having a very Amelie day today, and it has been so exciting that I would like to tell you about it right now.

In my room, as you have seen, there are a number of cabinets. The bottom ones all have keyholes, but when I moved in, only one of these had a key in it. It happened to be the one that made the least sense to be locked, unfortunately, as there is no divider between it and its neighbor, so I never bothered with it. There is also a mysterious cabinet above the door to my room, but more on that later.



Today, I was loafing around the kitchen after brunch, peeking in cabinets, looking around to see what I needed from the grocery store. On a whim, I opened the little screen door in front of our heater, which is under the counter near the sink.





I've done this before, and all I saw was this old heater that I'll have to figure out when winter comes. But this time, I noticed a little glass bowl tucked away in the back. It was covered in a thin layer of dust, and I wondered if the previous CYA kids knew it was there. I also wondered why someone had chosen that particular place to store it.

It was full of gadgetry, spare parts for the apartment like plates for outlets and little plastic things I know not the use of, but there was something else....

Underneath the boring hardware was a bunch of old keys!



Those who know me well may be able to guess at how this excited me. I immediately began running around the apartment fitting keys to locks. Sadly, most of the doors in the house have had the bolt part painted over, so you can't actually turn the key. However, I did manage to find one that fit one of the cabinets in my room! So now I have a secure place to put things. I put the other keys back in the hiding place.

Now after this, I was in an adventuring mood, so I decided to check out that mysterious cabinet above my door.
It's pretty high off the ground, and even standing on a kitchen chair I could just barely reach it to pry the doors open. There was no way I could see inside.
So being the innovator that I am, I turned on my video camera and used the pull-out screen on the side to see into the cabinet.


At first, all I saw was a broken wire coming out of the wall. To be honest, I hadn't expected anything more exciting than that. But as I tilted the camera upward, I realized that the inside of the cabinet was the length of a hallway.




And there was stuff at the end of it!
It looked like a little sink and a box of some kind. I can't even describe how surprised I was to find that. My jaw actually dropped and I said, out loud, A sink?!
Why is this stuff here?! I don't know!





But anyway, I zoomed in:



Is that a passageway off to the left? Maybe!


I'm terribly interested in that box, if it is indeed a box. Part of me wants to climb in there and check it out, but the other part of me is afraid of ghosts. And all of me is too short to get up there anyway. Maybe I'll enlist a tall person to lift me up and offer moral support. I really want to know what's in it!

So that was my adventure for the day. I hope you got as much joy out of it as I did. If life in Athens is full of old keys and secret cabinets, I'll be content.

1 comment:

  1. THIS IS FANTASTIC. If I could get over there, I would be your tall person. Keep us posted on this amazing discovery!

    Also, I got your postcard. <3 for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete