Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My first Mass in Athens

As I think I mentioned before, I found a church near my apartment that holds Mass in English on Sunday evenings, and so I decided to check it out.
It's in a very nice part of town, where I saw a bunch of neat stores that I want to check out, including a video/DVD rental store, where I plan to get some Greek movies. The church itself is beautiful. I'll have to go back when no one is there and take pictures. There were columns made of what looked like green marble.
Anyway, I got there about 15 minutes early, and the place was already so full that I thought I had actually walked into the end of the previous Mass. I shuffled over to a pew in the back corner and sat.
As it got closer to seven o'clock, more and more and more people kept coming in, eventually having to stand in the back. And everyone was Asian. I think I was the least Asian person there. Actually, specifically, most people looked like they were from Southeast Asia, with some others from East Asia. Somehow, I hadn't expected that.

The Mass itself was pretty nice. The priest rambled a bit, but he had respectable things to say. The music was hit-or-miss. I liked the "Glory to God," but the "Jesus Lamb of God" actually made me laugh a little. The beginning sounded like "Ring of Fire"!
Also, they sang the Our Father, which is something I don't remember ever having experienced. It tripped me up, because setting it to music made me forget the words for some reason.
Communion was also very confusing. At least where I was sitting, they didn't do the row-by-row thing, it was more a "Do I feel like taking Communion today? Yes, I think I do," and randomly joining the line. So I kind of sat awkwardly for a while, waiting to see if the people in front of me were going to get up. Luckily, the lady next to me decided to go, so I followed her.

All in all, it was an enjoyable experience. I plan to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment